From Ron-Well Jacob, Jos.
The Special Task Force (STF) known as Operation Safe Haven, keeping the peace on Plateau paraded 17 suspects linked to the killings in some villages in Gashish district in Barkin Ladi local government area.
The parade came as a mammoth crowd wearing black stormed the State’s Government House in Jos to protest the killings and government’s handling of the killings which figure has been upped above 210. They had earlier taken over Jos streets pouring invectives on state and federal political office holders.
Many were angry that neither the Stae Governor, Simon Lalong, nor visiting Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, and President Muhammadu Buhari thought it necessary to visit communities where citizens were mauled down. Both men began and ended their official trips in Jos.
Security concerns have been cited for this, but protesters were not impressed, insisting “these State and National chief security officers do not feel safe, with all the soldiers, Police, security agents, and others they have on ground.” “That tells you how safe we the ordinary citizens are in this country,” another chipped in.
The protest went violent and gunshots were heard around the Government House.
The crisis which engulfed the some districts of Barkin Ladi on Sunday led to the death of over 200 persons including travelers who were trapped and killed in retaliation along Heipang, Mararaban Foron and Anguldi in Jos south.
Among the suspects paraded by the Task Force include Ahmed and Yahuza who were arrested around Gashish district in Barkin Ladi and one Friday, who was arrested in Belshow village in Barkin Ladi.
Major Adam Umar, theTask Force Media and Information Officer, said that Ahmed and Yahuza were arrested on Saturday afternoon while Friday was arrested on Sunday evening.
“Our officers and men, who quickly responded to distress calls were able ot get these three suspects in connection with the crisis.
“We also got on them four weapons paraded which include three locally made and one automatic AK47, ” he disclosed.
Also paraded were 14 youths arrested in connection with the civil disturbances of Sunday afternoon which led to attacks on travellers along Mararaban Jama’a, Mararaban Foron and Anguldi.
Umar said all the suspects were cooperating with security agencies in their investigations.
According to him, “their arrest will definitely assist in leading to the arrest of other accomplices”.
The Task Force image maker however warned the general public against involving in any form of crime or social vices so as not to fast the wrath of the law.
He said that the security operatives were on alert and ever ready to get anyone found breaching the law and infringing on the fragile peace that has been restored in the state.