The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) says it has stood down its Abuja Presidential mega rally earlier scheduled for Saturday following the refusal by the All Progressives Congress (APC)-led Federal Government to grant the party access to the venue of the rally.
In a statement, Mr. Kola Ologbondiyan, the
National Publicity Secretary of the opposition party and Director, Media & Publicity of the PDP Presidential Campaign Organization, said the government action is in spite of the fact that the PDP had made payments and obtained official approval to host the mega rally at the Old Parade Ground, Garki, Abuja.
The party wants Nigerians to document the “provocative action against” it adding, “it is also instructive to state that we had earlier scheduled our Lagos Mega Rally for the Tafawa Balewa Square on Saturday until the Buhari Presidency and the APC came up with same date forcing our campaign to opt for Abuja.”
It adds: “We hope they will allow the Lagos Rally to hold on Tuesday.
“The PDP holds that these provocative actions, instead of deterring Nigerians from their determination to vote out President Buhari on February 16, has only succeeded in spurring more compatriots to support the people’s candidate, Atiku Abubakar, to victory
“The PDP appreciates the commitment of Nigerians, particularly, those who have already converged on Abuja for this mega rally.
“While we regret the inconveniences caused by the insensitive action of the Buhari Presidency and APC, we wish to inform that a rescheduled date for the rally will be communicated soon.”