The Ministry of Youth and Sports Development says it has received full briefing from the Director General of the Nationak Youth Service Corps (NYSC) on the attack on a female Corps member by a female army officer in Calabar, the Cross River State capital.
The sad event which occurred on July 28, 2021, but came to the fore following the release of the video this week, has been a subject of discourse in the public space.
In its statement, the ministry said, “The NYSC and the Army Authorities have since commenced investigation of the said incident and the officer involved as evidenced by the statement released by the Army Authorities.
“The statement by the Nigerian Army DHQ describing the dehumanizing of the Corps member as highly unprofessional and unacceptable is welcomed.
“The Ministry also condemns in very strong terms this incident. We believe and have been assured that the Army with its discipline and commitment to professional ethics will make sure justice is served.”
Recall that the Army had announced that a female army lieutenant who drenched with water, a whitish substance, and hit a female Corps member had been arrested.
The army’s arrest, without mentioning her name, came as social media became replete with alleged posts by the young officer, identified as Viola Anele, years before she joined the army.