By Tope Banso
“I have put watchmen on your walls, O Jerusalem; they will not keep quiet day or night: you who are the Lord’s recorders, take no rest, And give him no rest, till he puts Jerusalem in her place to be praised in the earth” (Isaiah 62:6-7 Bible in Basic English).
There are indications that some Christians have stopped praying for their countries or are not praying as much as they should. They’re discouraged by their countries’ under-development, the bad economy, the increasing crime wave, the worsening insecurity, the growing unemployment rate, the distressing ineptitude of the political class, the endemic systemic corruption, etc.
As worrisome as the reality in your country may be, never cease praying for her. While continuous prayer is not a substitute for other things necessary to build a strong and prosperous nation, it is not unimportant, because human beings need God. There are forces beyond the physical, that fight a nation from taking its rightful place in the comity of nations.
“I have put watchmen on your walls, O Jerusalem; they will not keep quiet day or night: you who are the Lord’s recorders, take no rest, And give him no rest, till he puts Jerusalem in her place to be praised in the earth” (Isaiah 62:6-7 Bible in Basic English). Continue to pray for your country. Don’t allow God to rest until He puts your country in her place to be praised on the earth.
8 Reasons you should never stop praying for your country
- Your country belongs to God. The devil never created any people or nation, no matter the evils happening in any country (Psalm 22:28; Daniel 2:20-21; Acts 17:26). Your country is God’s. Satan’s rule must end.
- Because of the plans and purposes, and promises and programmes of God for your country. Your country is not an accident of history, notwithstanding the circumstances of emergence – whether through amalgamation or referendum, or any other way.
God created the people in every country; Satan never created any human being! God has plans and purposes, and promises and programmes for your country that He wants to fulfill. Continuous prayers are needed so that Satan doesn’t hinder all this, working through human beings, especially the citizens. Human beings need to cooperate with God, for Him to get things done; He doesn’t force people.
- Because of the problems your country is facing. Your country needs divine intervention. In 1 Kings 8:33-40, Solomon, at the dedication of the Temple talked about the Israelites praying to God over diverse problems. Never cease praying for divine solution to your country’s problems (Psalm 50:15; Proverbs 14:34; Jeremiah 33:3; Esther 4:15-17). Prayer doesn’t cancel or replace human responsibility.
- To avert or delay the judgment of God. Moses interceded twice for the Israelites when God wanted to wipe away the nation (Exodus 32:9-14; Numbers 14:11-24; Numbers 9:25-29). 2 Chronicles 7:14 says, “If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land” (New King James Version). Genuine repentance and prayer can avert or delay God’s judgment.
- God wants you to pray for everyone, including those in authorities, so that everyone can live a peaceable life in all godliness and holiness (1Timothy 2:1-2). Your relentless prayer for those in leadership can make them do the right thing, It can make them design and implement the right policies and programmes.
The church and other non-state actors must never leave governance to politicians or others in leadership. Sometimes they don’t know what they’re doing! Sometimes corruption is responsible for their failure.
Proverbs 21:1 says the king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD, like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes. Every Christian is a priest (1 Peter 2:9). As a priest, intercede for your country. If Christians don’t continue to pray, they might suffer from bad governance.
- You’ll be disobeying the LORD if you fail to continue to pray for your country. Prophet Samuel said in 1 Samuel 12:23a, “Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you” (New King James Version). It’s a sin to stop praying for your country when the Bible says to do so.
God needs your prayer to cause His will to be done (Matthew 6:10; Luke 11:2). 1 Thessalonians 5:17 says to never stop praying. Pray always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit (Ephesians 6:18a).
- So that the Gospel of Jesus Christ can be preached unhindered and souls can be brought into the Kingdom of God. 1 Timothy 2:4 says God wants all men to be saved and to know the truth. Psalm 9:17 says the wicked shall be turned into hell and the nations that forget God.
Believers must continue to pray that God will open the minds of the people that Satan has blinded, so that the Gospel will not be hidden to them and they’ll be saved (2 Corinthians 4:3-4).
- The prosperity of your country will affect your prosperity. Prosperity is more than money. It includes health, peace, well-being, welfare, safety, etc. You must continue to pray for the prosperity of your country. God told the Jews in Babylon, “Seek the peace of the city where I have caused you to be carried away captive, and pray to the LORD for it; for in its peace you will have peace” (Jeremiah 29:7 New King James Version).
Continue to pray for your country. Don’t be unconcerned or discouraged. Christians are also affected in some ways by what happens in their countries. Therefore, keep praying even when it seems there is no positive change. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
If you’re not born again, repent of your sins today and accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. Whoever comes to Him, He will by no means cast out.
PRAYER POINT: Father, my country has sinned against you. Forgive us our sins; heal our land. Let there be national restoration and all-round prosperity.
This is wisdom for living, and it’s worth sharing. Please share.
(For more inspiring messages, visit: www.cedarministry.org).
▪ Banso, an Abuja-based minister and pastor can be reached at Cedar Ministry International
Tel No: +2348155744752, +2348033113523
WhatsApp No: +2349081295947