By Tope Banso.
“These six things the LORD hates, yes, seven are an abomination to Him: a proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that are swift in running to evil, a false witness who speaks lies, and one who sows discord among brethren” (Proverbs 6:16-19 New King James Version).
An abomination is anything that is of extreme hatred or is detestable. God is a holy God and hates sin generally but the Bible specifically describes some things as abominations to Him.
Seven abominable things are listed in the scripture above. You should avoid them or get rid of them and others the Bible talks about from your life.
The 12 Abominable Things
1. Idolatry – worshiping idols rather than the True God (Jeremiah 10:6-10, 1:16, Exodus 20:3-6, Deuteronomy 5:7-10, 12:29-31, 7:25-26, 6:4-5, 1 Corinthians 10:6-7, Amos 5:25-27, Psalm 97:7, Isaiah 44:11).
2. The sacrifice of the wicked. This is unacceptable to the Lord (Proverbs 15:8, 21:27, Genesis 4:4-5, Micah 6:6-8).
3. Offerings that don’t satisfy God’s requirements (Deuteronomy 17:1, 23:18, Amos 5:22-24). Give to God acceptable offerings according to the Scriptures.
4. Sorcery, witchcraft, communication with evil spirits and similar practices (Deuteronomy 18:9-12). Those who practice any of these will not inherit the Kingdom of God (Galatians 5:19-21, Revelation 21:8).
5. Anyone who wears what belongs to the opposite sex (Deuteronomy 22:5). Many Bible scholars have argued that this scripture was meant to prohibit Israelites’ involvement in the pagan practice of cross dressing as part of idol worship.
6. Cheating and enriching oneself through dishonest gains (Proverbs 11:1, 16:11, Deuteronomy 25:15-16, Ezekiel 22:13-16, 1 Samuel 8:3; Titus 1:7c,11b, Proverbs 1:17-19).
7. Perverse men (violent people), hearts that plot evil and feet that race to do wrong. These include murderers (Proverbs 3:31-32, 6:16,18, 4:23, Matthew 15:19-20, Exodus 20:13, Deuteronomy 5:17, Matthew 5:21, 19:18).
8. Lying tongues and lips (Proverbs 6:16,17, 12:22, 17:7, Psalm 120:2). No liar will inherit the Kingdom of God (Revelation 21:8).
9. A proud look and a proud heart (Proverbs 6:16, 17, 21:4, 16:18, James 4:6, 1 Peter 5:5-6).
10. Miscarriage of justice. This includes bearing false witness which God forbids (Proverbs 6:16,19a, 17:15, 31:9, Exodus 20:16, 23:6, Matthew 19:18, Mark 10:19, Luke 18:20, Deuteronomy 27:19, Psalm 106:3, Amos 5:24).
11. Someone who causes strife among brothers (Proverbs 6:16,19b, 14, 20:3, Psalm 133, Romans 12:16,18, 14:19, 16:17, 2 Corinthians 13:11, Hebrews 12:14, Mark 9:50).
12. Sexual immorality including incest, homosexuality, bestiality, adultery and fornication (Leviticus 18, 20:10-21).
These twelve things are abominations to the Lord. Let them be abominations to you too. Avoid them.
PRAYER POINT: Father, I repent of and forsake anything that is an abomination to you in my life.
▪Banso, an Abuja-based minister, leads the Cedar Ministry International, Abuja, Nigeria and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org,
Tel No: +2348155744752, +2348033113523.
WhatsApp No: +2349081295947.