TEN TAKEAWAYS FROM MR. SPEAKER’S REMARKS DURING THE PRESENTATION OF THE 2024 APPROPRIATION BILL (BUDGET) BY PRESIDENT BOLA TINUBU
By Rep. Akin Rotimi Jr.
Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Tajudeen Abbas, on Wednesday, November 29, 2023 delivered a Vote of Thanks on behalf of the National Assembly at the 2024 Budget Presentation Ceremony.
In his remarks at the Joint Session of the National Assembly, Speaker Abbas stated that the Green Chamber has developed a detailed roadmap (Legislative Agenda) to ensure that the legislature supports, promotes, and oversees the strategic objectives of the Federal Government.
Here are 10 major takeaways from the Speech to the Joint Session:
1. Speaker Abbas described President Tinubu’s first address to the Joint Session of the National Assembly as historic and a homecoming.
2. Rt. Hon. Abbas hailed Mr. President’s resolve to make decisions that may be hard but necessary to remedy past errors and put Nigeria on the path of economic recovery, security and development.
3. Mr Speaker highlighted that millions of constituents are living through incredibly difficult times. and look to the Tinubu-led government to provide quick and sustainable solutions.
4. He stressed that the Executive and Legislature cannot afford to fail Nigerians, while extolling Mr. President’s antecedents and his track record in governance which inspires a lot of hope in Nigerians.
5. Mr Speaker urged his colleagues and Nigerians in general to see the 2024 Budget as a reflection of a collective resolve to address the most critical needs of our long-suffering citizens, rather than a mere financial document.
ON THE BUDGET PROPOSAL AND SUPPORT FOR THE EXECUTIVE
1. Speaker Abbas pledged the support of the National Assembly for government’s policies and programmes targeted at alleviating poverty, economic restructuring and diversification, as well as general social sector reform and development.
2. In view of the high public debt profile, the National Assembly will ensure that the 2024 budget includes concrete strategies for sustainable debt management, including measures to increase revenue and control expenditure.
3. The House will thoroughly examine various aspects of the budget proposals, including economic feasibility, allocation and utilisation of funds and sustainability of proposed fiscal policies.
4. Mr Speaker pledged essential checks and balances aimed at ensuring that government spending aligns with national priorities and is conducted transparently and efficiently. He pledges that the House will follow through on the implementation process through various oversight engagements.
5. In line with Thematic Area 4; “Economic Growth and Development”.of its Legislative Agenda, the House will diligently scrutinise the budget alongside Nigerians to ensure that it best addresses the most critical needs of our people upon accelerated consideration.
● Rep. Rotimi Jr. is the House Spokesman and Chairman, House Committee on Media and Public Affairs