Finally, Gov Yahaya Bello of Kogi and the Ohinoyi of Ebiraland, Dr.Ado Ibrahim, who have been at loggerheads since President Muhammadu Buhari’s visit last December, have resolved their disagreement feelers from the state have indicated.
It was reliably gathered that the duo entered into a truce on Thursday during the Islamic burial rights of late Tafida of Ebira Land, Dr.Abdulazeez Umar Farooq in Okene.
It was the 94-year-old traditional ruler, who spoke of the reconciliation at the meeting that took place between them at the occasion.
The Ohinoyi openly declared his resolve to support Bello in the interest of the Ebira nation and Kogi as a state.
The Ohinoyi, who described Bello as his “first son”, thanked God for making him governor over the State.
The traditional ruler also appreciated God for installing him in the 90s as the Ohinoyi of Ebiraland.
He pledged to support the governor to succeed and finish tenure of office early next year.
He .regretted the rift that came between them and said there was need for them to forgive each other’s wrongs and work together for the development of Ebiraland and the state in general.
“As my “first son”, it becomes imperative for me to let the governor know every step I take to for the peace and development of Ebiraland
“It’s more important that we settle for the sake of God and in honour of the late Dr.Farooq, ” the Ohinoyi said.
Gov. Bello, in his response, assured that till the end of his administration, such an ugly situation that led to a disagreement with the royal father would not rear its head again.
He, however, described the death of the renowned medical practitioner, Dr Farooq, as, a huge loss to Ebiraland, Kogi and the nation at large.
Both prominent sons of Ebiraland have been at loggerheads since the traditional ruler was issued a query for absenting himself when President Muhammadu Buhari came visiting last December.
In the heat of the exchange of letters between the state government and the Royal father, a group of other prominent citizens met to reconcile both men and issued a communique.
The communique reads in full: COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF THE SPECIAL CONGRESS SESSION OF EBIRAL PEOPLE’S ASSOCIATION (EPA) ON 15TH JANUARY, 2023 AT THE OKENE TOWN HALL, INIKE, OKENE LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA
Worried by some recent unpleasant developments in the land, an emergency General Congress Session was held on 15th January, 2023 at the Okene Town Hall, Inike, Okene Local Government Area. Specifically, the query issued to His Royal Majesty, the Ohinoyi Ebira by the Government of Kogi State and the attendant public reactions formed the main crux of deliberations at the session.
The Congress had most of its participants in representative capacities. Some of the bodies and organizations actively represented at the Congress include, Ebira Elders Council; the Traditional Council; the Body of Daudus; body of Odeyiani; De Noble Club 10; Ebira Senior Academics (ESA); Ebira Youth Congress (EYC); National Association of Ebira Students (NAES); Ihima Welfare Association (IWA); Okengwe Development Association
(ODA); Adavi Development Association (ADA); Jamatu Nasrl Islam (JNI); Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN); EL-Birru Muslim Association of Nigeria (EMAN), Ebira Renaissance Group (ERG), EYC Elders Council, People Living with Disabilities (PWD); Pals Collectives; Harmony Club of Nigeria; Jatto FM Radio; Kogi Central Market Women; Ebira Traders Union; Kogi Central Association of Peace Ambassadors (KCAPA) and Ebira Youth Elites Nigeria (EYE-N). Others were, Agada Group of Clans, Okovi Descendant Union; representatives of Ebira communities in Kaduna (EPA); Nasarawa (EPA); Lokoja (EPA) and other community based organizations in Ebira land.
In the course of the session, the following declarations were made:
1. That query is an understandable idea in official settings and the one in question should not be hurriedly interpreted to mean a personal rift between the Executive Governor of Kogi State and Ohinoyi of Ebira;
2. That whoever has any personal score to settle with either the Governor or Ohinoyi should spare the window provided by the query and its concomitants for the interest of peace and tranquility of our land. At best, such person or persons should contrive their own means to settle the score and not to leverage the ongoing situation for vendetta;
3. That the reckless manner with which many jumped to the media space (social media platforms) to queue for and against any of the parties involved stands condemned.
4. That while the freedom of expression of citizens, as provided for in the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is respected in matters of public concern, sufficient restraint should be exercised in a delicate issue such as the one at hand. The message of peace, understanding and development of the land should preoccupy all well-meaning Anebira.
5. That our energy must be refocused tactically so as not to lose sight of the necessary preparation for some very important national exercises ahead of us, such as the 2023 general elections and population census.
6. The Governor should take practical steps to douse the needless tension being generated in the last few days, while the Ohinoyi on his part should continue to remain a father figure to all Anebira.
After extensive deliberations on the agenda of the session, the following resolutions were arrived at:
1. That all forms of unguarded comments, write-ups and analysis in public spaces, whether for or against any of the parties will no longer be acceptable by the community. Any such act will be considered an affront to the sensitivity of Anebira, and may be met with some consequences communally.
2. That the President-General of EPA should take further steps by addressing the Ebira public via community radio and other possible platforms, giving necessary charge and appeals, going forward;
3. That the leadership of EPA should draw up a team of eminent Ebira personalities to interface separately with His Excellency, Alhaji Yahaya Adoza Bello, the Executive Governor of Kogi State and His Royal Majesty, Alhaji Dr. Ado Ibrahim, the Ohinoyi Ebira on some key matters of critical interest to the Ebira nation.
The session seized the opportunity to, again, rejoice with the Governor of Kogi State and the Ohinoyi Ebira for the visit of President Muhammadu Buhari on the 29th December, 2022 for the commissioning of legacy projects in Ebira land. At the same time, sadly, the session commiserated with the aforementioned leaders for the mindless bomb attack that claimed some lives, and prayed that such an unfortunate event will not be recorded in the