Aftermath of Kuje Prison attack, US Embassy issues security advisor
Following the attack of the Kuje Custodial Centre, the US Embassy in Abuja has issued a security advisory to its citizens to help them live and move around safely within the Federal Capital Territory.
The instructive advisory is reproduced below:
Security Alert: U.S. Embassy Abuja
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Date: July 6, 2022
Event: Abuja FCT Prison Break near the airport on July 5, 2022
On the night of July 5, 2022, an attack on Kuje Prison freed a large portion of the estimated 1,000 prisoners. The prison lies approximately 27 miles southwest of the Central Business District. An increase in crime is expected in and around Abuja. It is recommended that U.S. citizens should maintain a high state of personal security awareness for the next two weeks and avoid unnecessary travel on the airport road.
Crime is endemic throughout Nigeria and tends to spike after dark. Avoiding locations and situations that increase the likelihood of being victimized is the best defense. Avoid displays of valuables and limit nighttime activity.
Terrorist groups and those inspired by such organizations are intent on attacking U.S. citizens abroad. Terrorists are increasingly using less sophisticated methods of attack –including knives, firearms, and vehicles – to target crowds more effectively. Frequently, their aim is focused on unprotected or vulnerable targets, such as:
High-profile public events (sporting contests, political rallies, demonstrations, holiday events, celebratory gatherings, etc.)
Hotels, clubs, and restaurants frequented by tourists
Places of worship
Shopping malls and markets
Public transportation systems (including subways, buses, trains, and scheduled commercial flights)
Actions to Take:
· Be aware of your surroundings.
· Keep a low profile.
· Carry proper identification.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Review your personal security plans.
· Always drive with your windows rolled up and the doors locked.
· Avoid large gatherings and protests.
· Review alternative travel routes in case of unexpected protests or unrest.
· Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
· Always keep the doors to your residence locked, even when at home.