By Jimoh Moshood, Force Police Public Relations Officer.
It is with much delight that I address you on behalf of the Inspector General of Police, IGP Ibrahim K. Idris, NPM, mni, on today’s occasion.
2. The IGP on assumption of duty on the 22nd June, 2016 promised to reposition the Nigeria Police Force to be more accountable, responsive, responsible and reliable under his leadership. You will agree with me that these declarations are already manifesting and being accomplished.
3. In furtherance of the above objectives, the IGP and Management Team have embarked on aggressive community and people oriented engagements to bring the Nigeria Police Force closer to the people so as to ensure effective service delivery to all Nigerians. The Eminent persons Forum which is a platform to strengthen the community policing strategies of the Force to tackle ethnic, religious and communal disputes and crisis that bedeviled some parts of the country was launched throughout the thirty six (36) states of the Nation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja and it has been achieving the desired results.
4. To accomplish the tasks of stimulating positive conducts of the entire personnel of the Force towards the fulfilment of the focus, missions and agenda of the Inspector General of Police and management team, the ‘creed’ for the Force was fashioned out to be a watch words and guiding principles for all officers and men in carrying out their duties and in the discharge of their day to day official responsibilities as thus:
(i). We shall police the country based on international core values of policing with integrity
(ii). We shall ensure that the rule of law prevails in our actions and activities
(iii). We shall respect diversity, display courage, show compassion and demonstrate professionalism
(iv). We shall operate within the principles of Democratic policing
(v). We shall shun corruption
(vi) We shall make Nigeria safer and secured
5. While ensuring compliance with the above, the Inspector General of Police and management team pays special attention to issues of corruption allegations most especially as it concerns BAILof suspects in Police custody.
6. The Inspector General of Police has therefore directed the launch of BAIL IS FREE campaign in all the Thirty Six (36) states of the country and the FCT, starting today from Niger State Police Command, ‘B’ Division in Minna.
7. Traditional Rulers, Community Leaders, Religious Leaders, Opinion Leaders, Market Men and Women Associations, Youths Leaders and Groups and Critical Stakeholders in the communities, towns and cities are implored to support this campaign. They are to report to the nearest Police Station the conduct of any Police Officer, Investigative Police Officer (IPO) or any other Officer that ask for money or pecuniary benefit before, during or after BAIL is granted to the Divisional Police Officers (DPOs), Area Commanders, The Command Public Relations Officers, Commissioner of Police or to the Force Public Relations Officer through the following Phone Nos. 07056792065, 08088450152, email:email@example.com, Police website: www.npf.gov.ng.
8. The people are encouraged to paste the sticker “BAIL IS FREE” on their vehicles, conspicuous locations and public centres to assist the Nigeria Police Force to spread this campaign.
9. The Inspector General of Police has directed the Commissioner of Police in Niger State to subsequently carryout the launch and campaign of “BAIL IS FREE” in all the remaining Emirates in Niger State. He will also do similar launch in all the remaining Area Commands and Divisions throughout Niger State.
10. The IGP has equally directed all Assistant Inspectors General of Police and Commissioners of Police to immediately ensure that ‘’BAIL IS FREE’’ is pasted in the crime branch, statement room, charge room and other conspicuous locations in all Police Divisions, Police Stations and Outposts throughout the Country.
11. The Inspector General of Police has sent out the X-squad of the Nigeria Police Force to all the states of the country to monitor compliance to “BAIL IS FREE” campaign and given power to arrest, detain and discipline any erring Police officer.
12. Lastly, the Inspector General of Police deeply appreciates the supports of all Nigerians in terms of prompt information and other assistance to the Nigeria Police Force Personnel in crime prevention and control throughout the country. The IGP enjoined the people to assist the Police to make this “BAIL IS FREE” campaign a huge success by reporting any complaint through the above mentioned avenues.