Residents contiguous to the collapsed four-storey building that collapsed in Jabi District of the Federal Capital City, have protested the poor handling of rescue efforts.
They were dispersed by police using tear-gas amidst government insistence that only one fatality was recorded.
Protesting residents believe there are more and even more casualties than claimed by government agencies, but they provide no evidence.
The Coordinator, Abuja Metropolitan Management Council, AMMC, Umar Shuaibu, according to a statement by the Federal Capital Territory Authority (FCTA), disclosed that all trapped victims of the Jabi building collapse have been rescued with no further deaths recorded outside the lone fatality.
He said apart from the initial six persons that were wounded, no other casualty figure has been recorded.
The Coordinator, who spoke to journalists in Abuja, shortly after touring the site of the collapsed building, said the FCT Administration and other stakeholders responded promptly and worked overnight with floodlights and other equipment to pull out the rubble in record time and have referred the injured persons to the hospital for medical attention.
The Coordinator said the Council will now move into the next phase of clearing the rubbles and investigation into why the building collapsed.
On Friday, Acting President Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, described the collapse of the structure as an unfortunate incident, and assured that that all the relevant public agencies are on ground to ensure rescue operations are effectively carried out.
According to a statement by his spokesman, Mr. Laolu Akande, Osinbajo said this when he visited the scene of the collapsed building under construction.
Speaking to the media afterwards, Prof. Osinbajo commiserated with relatives of those who may have died and those injured. He also hoped that who may still be trapped under the building would be rescued.
Prof Osinbajo said, “First, I want to say the collapse of this building is a very unfortunate incident. As you know, it was a building under construction. It appears to have collapsed a few hours ago. I think that the most important thing at the moment is that we have all of the relief, safety and emergency management agencies all here. NEMA is here, the FCT authorities are here, the Hon. Minister himself is here, the executive government is here.
“So, the whole process of ensuring that those who may be trapped under this collapsed building are rescued is well underway. As you can see, all of the emergency equipment, help movers and the equipment that are required, are here. There is enough for us to expect that they should at least be able to rescue anyone who may still be trapped in this building. I am quite satisfied so far with the level of the activities to ensure that this very unfortunate incident is not made worse by any loss of lives.”
The Acting President was accompanied to the site by the FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Bello, and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr. Boss Mustapha.